Friday, January 17, 2014

A new addition to my portfolio

Its a great feeling adding a new piece to the portfolio!
And I am especially pleased with my game box art illustration for Demise of Nations from Noble Master Games that I have just completed for a happy client.

The battle scene was illustrated traditionally with inks on bristol board, and then colored digitally in Photoshop. It's a wrap-around DVD cover, so I had to make sure the composition worked as both a  landscape spread, and on its own as a portrait format image for the front cover.

I love doing lots of research, especially for historic illustrations, and I spent a fair amount of time looking up war elephants and roman horses for this one.
This image depicts the battle of Carthage during the Third Punic War. Turns out that the Romans didn't really have a standard uniform in this early period, but I ended up making the decision to give them all standard uniform and brass armour for artistic reasons.
As for the war elephants, I chose African elephants and purposefully exaggerated their size for effect.
The Carthaginians would have used the extinct and much smaller North African elephant of the time, which actually looked like a mix between African and Indian elephants.
That's the end of my art-research history lesson for today!

--
Deon de Lange

"Deon de Lange, Demise of Nations game box art" click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment